Thursday 13 November 2014

Healing Crochet

You know, there are many groups and pages out there dedicated to the healing power of crochet - for the participant, but sometimes I think we also forget the healing power for the recipient too.

I have a friend who is VERY exceptionally talented at amigurumi. So much so, that she made "Cartman" from "South Park" last week without batting an eyelid and without a pattern. It was seriously fabulous and much loved in the group that we are in. Now, I love South Park. It's a fabulously inappropriate show as far as I am concerned, so, I did it. I DOUBLE DARED her to make another character - Mr Hanky, The Christmas Poo! The challenge was accepted, the game was on, and stuff happened in my world that was yucky and I forgot completely about it. :/

So, imagine my joy and delight when my husband brings in the mail and dumps a small brown envelope on my desk (I guess they were out of white ones that day? ROFL). I couldn't make out the signature, but it was from the UK where the bulk of my family are, so I thought something from them. I eagerly ripped it open, and out fell a little brown turd... with a Santa hat... and tiny white gloves!!!! How precious. I was in such a dark place, and I just lost it. I laughed for a good twenty minutes. I had happy tears rolling down my face and a stitch in my side. I shared it in our group, and do you know what? The comments went bezerk! EVERYONE loved him too. Now poor Uljana isn't happy with him because she lost her small hook and made him with a larger one and she wasn't happy with how he turned out. I think he's blooming brilliant and she should take a bow. :P Not only did he bring me joy, through me he bought my family joy, and strangers from around the world! (Our group has over 35 thousand members from over 70 nations, so I'm not exaggerating here :P )




And now, I'm sharing him here with you to spread the joy (and not the stains or stench lol) further! <3

It's not just through humour and laughter that we can bring healing, but through love and kindness. I'm a part of a handful of groups, and in one there is a lady who is unwell. She is the epitome of kindness, always going out of her way to help others, and we all appreciate it, so we've banded together secretly to make her a blanket in her favourite colours. I posted these squares off today, along with a ball of black for the joining, and maybe a wee packet of smarties to keep the strength up for the lady doing all that joining lol.

I posted about a similar sort of project a month or so ago on my facebook page (Get Knotted Yarn Craft) and I'm privileged to be a part of this one. Imagine her surprise when she receives this beautiful blanket in her favourite colours, made by people all over the world that she knows - some of them better than others. Imagine that you were unwell or in pain or distress - now imagine being able to wrap yourself physically in the love of others. If that doesn't bring healing, then I don't know what does.


Now I'm not writing about this to big-note myself, but to share with you all the joy that crochet (or in fact any craft that we choose to do) can make not only for ourselves, but for others too.

I hope that you are happy. I hope that you are at peace. I hope that you have joy and love and hope. Most fervently, I hope that you have enough of these that you can share them with others. xoxo

Ravelry - Center Heart Square
Rock Solid Granny Square

No comments:

Post a Comment